Monday 28 September 2015

How Far From Home: Creative couple from South Africa quits their agency job to travel the world

Perhaps a month ago Tim Nudd from AdWeek did a feature on South African couple Chanel Cartell and Stevo Dirnberger. It got my attention.

And it's not just AdWeek, the couple's story has been featured all over the media internationally, on websites and magazines including Cosmopolitan, Daily Mail and Elite Daily. What is the story that is creating all of the buzz? The pair of creatives quit their agency jobs to see the world. They have taken us with them for the trip.






Since I first heard about the couple I have been religiously following their work on Instagram, through their account "How Far From Home". In their posts there is always a sign that has a number on it. The number is the exact distance the couple is from their hometown in South Africa. Sometimes one of them will be holding the sign, other times it is next to different sites from their travels.

As a travel addict and aspiring creative, I was particularly inspired by their journey.

What I like about Instagram is that it really shows off a personal brand. Carell and Dirberger's work particularly resonates because it has an ongoing theme and creative concept. What they are doing is very much the present and future in advertising.

More and more social media is being used for companies to stay transparent with their consumers. I have noticed that young professionals are less committed to a single company than their parents' generation. Because people can more realistically freelance, creatives need to brand themselves through social media, just as a company would.

I'm in a strange spot nowadays, itching for my professional career to begin but wondering where unknown opportunities will take me. Where will I find myself? What continent? Will my agency be like home or like a stepping stone to something better? I am committed to working abroad once I graduate, seeing the world as an open job market for me. Sure, there are complications like visas and learning a new culture. I think embracing a far away place will give me valuable insights as a Creative.

As I am looking at Cartell and Dirnberger's work, I am getting ideas of what I can do as a Creative. I will be able to build my portfolio through my travels. My travels are a part of my story. It is up to me how I share my story with the world.

I'd like to think that someday I will be able to travel the world with someone I am in love with. Like professional opportunities, I am waiting for that man who will be everything I need.

People sometimes assume that travel is just a distraction from the real world. This couple proves to me that travel not only is fun, but it helps you get ahead in your career. I don't think this couple will ever have trouble finding a way to make a living after this adventure they are on. Will the adventure ever end?

Last I saw, the couple is in Istanbul, Turkey. I've been following them through their website howfarfromhome.com. Talk about a beautiful creative portfolio.

Cheers!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment