Tuesday 1 December 2015

11 Habits that Inspire Creativity


Maybe as a creative person you've been cast as a strange bird-- a little off beat and way too spontaneous. Have you been called random? Have you had to explain something to someone that makes perfect sense in your own little world, but not so much in the real one?

Well that's me.

Below are a few of my personal habits that have allowed my creativity to flow. Maybe if you are looking to ignite your creative flame you can try some of these things that work for me. Maybe some of these things have worked for you as well.

1.     Extensive list making 
So many papers scribbled in chicken scratch are tucked away in corners of my room. I write ideas as they come to me: notes-to-self, to-dos, wish lists, reading lists, lists about lists. I don't want to lose an idea, no matter how silly or random it is. I save the lists because I never know how an idea will inspire me later on.

2.     Walking until lost 
When I'm walking I feel like I'm moving forward. I can free my mind. Whether it is an unfamiliar city or whether it is my hometown, there is something relaxing about wandering. When I get lost I have to find myself. I have to switch from my imagination to find the road to reality.

3.     Narrating life in song
There's an occasional moment where I am in complete bliss and feel like I could be Disney princess. This scary level of giddiness has me making ordinary moments poetic and sing-songy. You guessed it-- it's really annoying to everyone around me.

4.     Sketchy sketching
For me, the difference between a completed art piece and a sketch is the level of consciousness put into it. Sketches are  without thinking or planning. Some people call these doodles. I see sketching as a window into my own thoughts. I want to lose myself to my art. I want it unedited. The more I can escape reality, the more I can look into it as an outsider.

5.     Being that person at the movies
I can't watch a movie without having an opinion about it. I love discussing plot flaws or pointing out product placements in movies. Especially when I am seeing a horror movie, I have a lot to say. So brace yourself: movies aren't just for watching, they are for interacting with.

6.     Reading 
I've always been burried in a book, perhaps because of my introverted tendency. I feel safe in a book. It is another way to escape. I feel like I am given the chance to explore another's mind. They are giving me their ideas. It's kind of like Inception. I used to dream from the perspectives of characters. I was never myself. Besides novels, I also really enjoy comic books- particularly, the work of Frank Miller. The storytelling ability of the visual arts is underestimated. Comic books really show the power of design.

7.     Hair coloring
I like drastic change, but nothing irreversible. For someone like me, who wants to live in phases, hair dying is a nice style modification. It also is drastic enough if I need it to be. I love changing up my hair. It reflects who I am at different stages in my life.

8.     Surrounding myself in creative people
This is the number one reason I want to live abroad. Whenever I travel I meet people who alter my perspective on life. By showing me who they are they show me something about myself. I've been told as career advice to attach myself to great mentors. I will let myself be inspired by the incredible resources I have surrounding me. I do miss having a group of artists to hang out with and sketch. I hope that I can have that again someday because a room full of artists really leads to great collaboration.

9.     Thrifting
Perhaps this makes me sound cheap, maybe I am. I really enjoy putting together stylish outfits from secondhand stores. It is a fun challenge to find something from someone else that can also represent me. I evolve my identity through my clothing. I thrifted a bit while I was backpacking in Europe. I liked finding brands that had the unique look of that country.

10.   Life through a lens
Sometimes I want to interact and other times I want to observe. When I take pictures I try to find new angles. I end up sprawled on the ground. Photos are another way to show others what I want them to see. It is a way to communicate. You can never completely capture a moment, but this is a way to let it live on longer. Everything is transient.

11.    Watching world news 
You might be able to tell from this blog, I like to keep up with what is going on in other parts of the world. I am interested in being a global citizen, so it is very important to me to understand all that is going on in a global context. I hope to be living abroad in the near future. I don't want to be an outsider. I want to be involved in what is going on outside of the United States.

I enjoy my lifestyle, even if some aspects might seem strange. I look to be inspired, in order to inspire. Oh, by the way my lucky number is 11 (why I listed 11 Habits).

Cheers!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment