Sunday 13 December 2015

Why study abroad changed my life and set me on my career path

Me by some thermal pools at the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand. I went there for holiday while living in Australia.
Travel circulates my body. It runs in my blood. My first time ever on a plane was to Australia. Go big or go home, right?
I never really thought too much about traveling overseas growing up. My parents loved road trips. We actually took a few weeks and drove cross-country to different national parks in the United States. I was really lucky to get to go camping several times every summer and to feed my love of the outdoors. Sometimes I joke that I was born in a tent.

It wasn't until I was in my program in uni that I asked myself "where do I want to be?" and realized I could make where ever that was, happen.

The top of my list was Australia, but I knew that was the most expensive study abroad program just based on the distance to travel and the cost of living. I did my research and I was able to make it happen. I changed the course of my life.

I always say if my student loans go towards something, travel is the most important part of my education. I find so much inspiration from the people that I meet who have a different perspective than me.

When I lived in Australia for 8 months (a semester and the summer) I was forced to grow up. I had to find my own housing, pay bills, take the bus to get places. I really embraced being an independent adult. I was able to embrace my strengths. I found pain. I found happiness. I found family.

More so than anything else travel brought me closer to one great love that makes me glow in positivity: creative advertising.

When I was in Australia I had an idea of what I wanted to do with my career but through the people I met I was reassured I was going in the right direction. Friends encouraged me to commit myself to my passions. Since then I really have. It may sound selfish but I truly do believe this is the time in my life where my career must come before every other thing.

Because I feel so strongly about the advertising field I am very confident I will not find trouble fitting into agency life once I graduate. I am committed to applying to jobs internationally. I know that it is not easy to get a job abroad, much less to get sponsored for a Visa. I know though that if I work abroad my career will sky rocket!

I want to go where creative inspiration lives. Creativity is all over the world so I am making it my mission to find it. I know as a professional I will have more to bring to the table if I find creative mentors from all over the world. I already have several professional inspirations that I have been lucky enough to come into contact with.

Yes, I can listen to stories, but-- even better, I can be the main character in them. The best part about my life story is that I am the one writing it. I wrote in travel into my life. Since Australia I have been to New Zealand, Italy, France, England, Ireland and Wales. I am a damn good author!

Cheers!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment