Monday 23 November 2015

Copywriting or Art Direction?

I have always had an obvious passion/ obsession for the visual arts and the written word. So when I went to an advertising conference in New York City this weekend and they told me I have to choose one, I really started to think about it. Do I want to be a copywriter or an art director?

The past couple of years I have been pretty positive that I was leaning in the direction of becoming a copywriter. I have had a couple of internships as a copywriter and have had some freelance writing gigs. Writing just seemed like a good start for someone like me within the field of advertising. Art, well I always used the excuse that I was saving art for myself. That never was actually true. Even on top of the pieces I was doing for family and friends, I found myself doing some commission work. Art was my love and sometimes my business.

The dreaded portfolio. Every time someone mentions a portfolio I get a sick feeling in my stomach. Why? It is my ticket in the door to advertising. In advertising, they won't even look at me if they don't see some piece of work in my portfolio that they like.

Even though I hate thinking about my portfolio and getting it together (it makes me extremely nervous- it is reality) the AWNY conference made me think about it.

You have to choose, they told me.

So am I a writer or an artist? As someone who has always been both, I didn't want to choose. What job will I be applying for? Art directors and copywriters work together. They are the dynamic duo. They are peanut butter and jelly, salt and pepper, sun and moon... (you get the point). I am looking forward to finding my creative partner. But which member of the partnership am I going to be?

One thing I really like about the structure of an ad agency is that even if you are an art director or a copywriter, you get to use the opposite skill set. You can help with the writing if you are an art director and you can help with the visual concepts if you are a copywriter. That reasssured me for sure. I wouldn't have to give up something I loved. Choosing wasn't really a pigeonhole.

I have officially decided I am going to pursue a position as an art director. Here's why:

When I look through my work what I am most proud of is visual. Even as a writer I consider myself more of a painter. Words are my medium to create a dymanically visual world.

When I'm at a bar and friends come up to me, telling me they enjoy seeing my artwork, I have to listen. When professors brag to each other about my artwork, I have to listen. When people contact me because they want me to do artwork for them, I have to listen.

As a designer for AAF, I use a lot of the Adobe programs. While I am pretty certain I don't want to go as in depth into design as a graphic designer would, I do have the skills to apply to visual arts that an art director needs. I am an art nerd. I like learning, talking about and being completely immersed in art. I dare you to go to an art museum with me! My academic projects are based in art and design.

The most fulfilling thing for me this past year is seeing my design work in print. When it is in poster form on beautiful glossy paper, it looks so much better to me than it did on my computer screen. It looks better because it is real.

Am I am idiot that it took me this long to acknowledge I am more suited to being an art director than a copy writer? Although I have a passion for writing, my passion for art appears in every single aspect of my life. It is so obvious. How did I not see myself for who I am? I think other people realized it first, like my professor who made me the design head in our ad agency.

I am now very focused and determined to get a beautiful visual portfolio together. I have the work, the skill set and the tools to really show off myself professionally. I want to work with my copywriter to make beautiful mock ads. A partnership should really help us both come up with great ideas. For Christmas I am getting a drawing pad. I should be able to really show off my illustration skills digitally now!

I am ready to begin my journey into advertising. I do not think that it will be easy, but I do think I will enjoy each step that brings me deeper and deeper into the field. I will be applying for jobs very shortly. This is scary but also very exciting.

I am finding myself. Perhaps the story will be the same tomorrow as it is today. I am allowing myself to take in the change. I am allowed to evolve into the best version of myself that I can be.

Cheers!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment