Monday 30 November 2015

Emotional Christmas Commercial from Germany

If you need a reminder on what the holidays should really be about watch Edeka's new Christmas advert. It is guaranteed to make you choke up a little, perhaps reach for the tissue box.

Edeka, a German grocery store chain, delivers this spot just in time for the Christmas season. So today is Cyber Monday, the day many people will be living on their phones or PCs to get the best online deals. I want to forget about that for a second. Instead of thinking about money and how much I'm going to spend, I am going to enjoy this commercial. This is the part of Christmas I look forward to.

Watch the heart-wrenching spot below:



In it an older man is returning home, with his dog, to a voicemail from his daughter saying she and the children won't be coming for the  holidays.

He spends Christmas alone, eating by himself with a decorated tree behind him.

Fast forward a few months, the daughter and her several brothers recieve news that their father is dead. They come together from their various jobs to go to the father's house.

They get there to a surprise. Tears turn to smiles when they realize the father is in fact alive. He walks into the dining room that has a table set for company and says, "How else could I have brought you all together?"

What is Christmas really about? It is about spending time with family. While I barely remember the gifts I got over the years, I remember the meals I've spent with my family. That is what memories are made of.

This isn't the first emotionally compelling commercial I've seen this year from Europe. John Lewis' Man on the Moon spot from England, which I featured a few days ago, also comes to mind. Both commercials beautifully highlight the holiday season.

Happy Holidays!
&
Cheers!
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment