Monday 30 November 2015

White Savior Racist Ad from Mexico

Recently Coca Cola released an ad that spread an offensive holiday message to its white and Mestizo audience: bring civilization to indigenous people.


I don't think I've misinterpreted this one. There is a major problem in Mexico that insinuates the white population must care for the Mestizo population as if something is wrong with the way indigenous people live. Coca Cola is saying that brown people need care from white people: this is the very relevant white savior problem that plagues more places than just Mexico.  I found this message particularly insulting to indigenous people.

It's not often that I share ads that piss me off, but this one has a clear racist tone to it that must be addressed. Watch it for yourself:



Even though I have been finding some very inspiring Christmas ads for this season such as John Lewis' Man on the Moon (England) and Edeka's Christmas commercial (France), this one really missed the mark for me. I hope to find more inspiration (and less disappointment) from other Christmas ad spots.

Happy Holidays!
&
Cheers!
Laura





No comments:

Post a Comment